This an extract of the first edition of the Ordnance Survey scale 6" to one mile of 1848.

Eccles is still a small township, although there are signs of industry (several mills, including a silk mill ) and the Liverpool to Manchester railway passes through with a station at Eccles, just north of the St Mary's Church.

The Vicarage is across the way from the church on the site now occupied by the shopping precinct.

Some buildings still remain today - the parish church and Monk's Hall for example - whilst others are long gone.

Trafford Park can be made out in the bottom right hand corner. This was the home of the de Trafford family, owners of much of Eccles for many years. Their estate, once containing an elegant mansion surrounded by parkland, would become the world's first industrial estate by the beginnings of the twentieth century.

A large selection of maps is available for reference at
Salford Local History Library.