The Society's emblem

    The emblem of the Eccles & District History Society is the boar's head.  This emblem was once the heraldic device of the Lords of the Manor of Barton, the Booth family. The boar's head is featured on the arms of the Borough of Eccles(1892)
    and of the City of Salford(1974).

    The first meeting of the Society was 
    held at Eccles Library on 1st February, 1956. Since then, the Society has promoted local history through its regular meetings and lectures, through its publications, and through the Frank Mullineux Local History Award.


      

    Three founder members of the Society with L.S.Lowry. 

    They are, left to right, John Bryon (Borough Librarian, Eccles), Gerald Cotton(Borough Librarian, Swinton & Pendlebury), and, to the right of Lowry as we look at the picture,  Frank Mullineux(Museum Curator) at Monk's Hall Museum in October,1964, where a major tribute exhibition to Lowry by leading British artists to was held.  

    The Society also held meetings at Monk's Hall during the 1960s.

     

     Golden Jubilee celebrations, 2006.


     In February 2006 the Society celebrated its Golden Jubilee. Over sixty members and guests, including His Worship the Mayor of Salford, gathered at the Bridgewater Room, Eccles Parish Church for a buffet, speeches and an evening of Lancashire folk music.

    The Society welcomes new members and is known for its informal, friendly atmosphere
    and its high quality programme of talks, excursions and social events.